Headaches & Migraine FAQs
A headache is a common condition most people encounter more than once during their lives. And while most are not serious, certain headaches may indicate something more serious. At Anken Family ChiroCare in Rome, NY, we offer headache and migraine treatment options that provide relief from symptoms that can be painful and life-disrupting.
Headache and Migraine Symptoms
Headaches are categorized as:
- Tension Headaches: These are the most common headaches, with about 75% of all headaches falling within the tension headache category. Tension headaches primarily manifest as a tight band of tension around the head or a dull ache that sits right behind the eyes.
- Migraine Headaches: These types of headaches are neurologically-based. They can last for hours (sometimes for days) and result in intense and unbearable pain that often includes nausea. A migraine headache can be triggered or further aggravated by light or certain sounds.
- Cluster Headaches: A cluster type of headache usually impacts one side of the face/head. They mainly afflict those who are aged 20 to 40.
These are caused by another condition that may trigger sensitivity and pain:
- Sinus Issues
- Medication Overuse
Common Headache and Migraine Triggers
A structural displacement (a.k.a. subluxation) in the neck or upper back region may cause a tension headache. The good news is that these types of headaches can be effectively managed with one treatment or a series of chiropractor adjustments. Other headache triggers include:
- Chemical/toxin exposure – this includes nitrates, MSG, nicotine, etc.
- Stress and other emotional factors like depression, anxiety, etc.
- Lifestyle factors
- Foods with high levels of tyramine, an amino acid found in specific cheeses, chocolate, as well as pickled/fermented foods
- Sleep routine changes/disruptions
- Poor posture
How Can a Chiropractor Help with Headaches & Migraines?
Years of study have evidenced that chiropractic adjustments, as a part of integrative care, have the potential to effectively treat tension and even migraine headaches. Our chiropractor will assess your musculoskeletal system to determine the root cause of your headaches and migraines or to schedule an appointment with our chiropractor.
Schedule an Appointment with Our Chiropractor for Headache and Migraine Treatment in Rome, NY
Are you experiencing headaches or migraines that impact your daily life? Contact Anken Family ChiroCare in Rome, NY, by calling (315) 337-9240.